Saturday, November 7, 2009

That boy cracks me up.


I have an eight year old nephew. He is hilarious. I like to sum up his life philosophy thusly: If you don't want to be my friend it's a big loss for you. Hope you make better decisions in the other areas of your life. Of course, he has not articulated this life philosophy to me, but I think I have summed it up pretty good. He is a cubscout and is not troubled by the trivia of the world. I really like that kid.

Recently, I picked him up at his house to ride the last 2.5 hours to my mom's house in the mountains. I was laughing before we pulled out of the driveway. His humor is always positive and usually involves him making some goofy face. In the middle of I-85 traffic at 5:15 p.m. with at least a billion cars surrounding us -- all of which were going 4.2 miles per hour -- he reached over and slapped the bottom of my arm and exclaimed "Jiggly Arms!" I laughed just now thinking about it. Of course, I had to flat-hand pop him in the chest the 15th time he slapped my arm and yelled "Jiggly Arms."

Of course, we had to stop to get him something to drink and to use the bathroom. He also decided that he needed beef jerky that came in a can like Skoal or Copenhagen. After we finally got it open, it looked just like smokeless tobacco. We dared each other to try it. He finally tried it and started spitting crushed beef jerky from his mouth and nose. I laughed out loud. Sometimes it's worth the clean up to see an 8-year old clown spit beef jerky.

Next, he said "I can't even scratch my armpit with this arm." I said "Goober use your other arm." His answer: "Can't you see I have a Sunkist in my hand." Sometimes his pragmatic knowledge does not rise up and help him in sticky situations. We finally decided that the Sunkist could be put in the cup holder and he could scratch his armpit with his opposite arm. I love that kid.

For Halloween he decided to be Fat Albert. I don't know why Fat Albert, he is a skinny kid. We convinced him, with the help of a crazy gray wig, that he should be Fat Albert Einstein. He could still stuff his shirt with pillows and he could also be the smartest guy in the history of mankind. He loved the idea and had all of his pictures made with the thinker pose on his face! I really love that kid. The picture shows us dressed up for Halloween with the nephew in his thinking pose.

On the way home, he played some electronic game the entire 2.5 hours. Funny, that I don't have a single story from the ride home. Electronic games should be banned when riding in the car with your aunt.

I have lots of nephew stories. I will continue to share. He has an older brother that I love also. Stories brewing......

No comments:

Post a Comment