Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's never too late


I have degrees in business and never thought much about art and music. I was running too hard toward another degree or the next opportunity to stop and wonder if I had any interest in art or music. That was until the last couple of years. Keep in mind that I am not contemplating whether I have any talent in either art or music, but rather do I have an interest in either one. Well, it just so happens that I have an immense amount of interest in both. I started painting about 4 years ago. Nothing serious, but I love color and I love abstract art. The cool thing about abstract art is -- it's abstract. There are no rules. You can incorporate all kinds of elements into the painting. I love to use different papers, putty, and sand to give my paintings texture. You may be thinking that anyone can do abstract painting and that some of the famous painting look like a kid painted them. You may be right, but keep this wise piece of advice in mind: It might be possible for anyone to create a piece of abstract art, but it takes an artist to create a piece that other people want to look at. An artist friend told me this. I like it.

I found that the more I painted, the more my creativity was improved in other areas of my life -especially in my professional life. While a business-kind of brain is essential for my job, a creative brain is also essential. When you are trying to think completely out of the box to create a painting, you train your mind to learn to think outside the box in all types of situations. Although I had read about the benefits of art and music education to the development of children, I was completely surprised by the effects that painting was having on my way of thinking. I started to see other artists' work in an entirely different way and still seek out artists in order to be inspired by their work. Now, I know that you will never look at my artwork and think Picasso, but I hope you look at my artwork and think Tina.

Now to music. Anyone who has read my facebook page knows that I have taken guitar lessons for the past six months. I love the guitar more than I can tell you. I am just learning the basics and can play a few songs, but learning this particular instrument makes me feel like doors that I never even knew existed have magically opened. The creation of music may be one of the most rewarding experiences for a human being to be a part of. To take a box with six strings on it and strike the strings in such a manner that almost every song known to mankind can be replicated is a powerful and magical feeling. I absolutely can not get enough of learning about and listening to guitar music. I told my guitar teacher recently that I am so glad that I got all that college completed before I found the guitar. Not sure I would have stuck with the whole college thing if I had started playing guitar too early.

I almost covet the talent that really good guitar players possess. Of course, they became good musicians through hours and hours of practice. Another great piece of advice from a friend, "no one can practice for you." My fingers on my fret hand now have sufficient calluses so that my fingers don't feel like they are being cut by the guitar strings. I love my calluses. You only get calluses from practicing. I have calluses and very short fingernails on my fret hand. Life is good. Guitar is sounding better.

My point: It's never too late to start doing something that you have dreamed of doing. Who knew that in my forties I would start painting and begin playing the guitar? Who cares who knew. The fact is, in my forties I am painting and playing guitar. I know that God leads us to what we need in different stages of our lives. I am immensely thankful that I have the blessings of art and music at this stage in my life. I am not sure that I could have appreciated either of them earlier in life. I didn't stop to "smell the roses" until just recently. Painting and playing the guitar are definitely roses in my life and I am stopping to smell those roses as often as possible.

I would love to hear about dreams that you have that just maybe you have been inspired to begin. We need to encourage each other. Life is short. Live it to the fullest. Remember, it's never too late....

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Tina. With the lifestyles we live today, it is sometimes very difficult for people to actually try to follow through on a "dream" that they may have. I did that several years and took that leap of faith and left 14 years of state employment and started my own business which is teaching blind and visually impaired students in school systems on a contract basis. It is truly been a blessing and since my husband is retired, it allows me to have a more flexible schedule for us to spend time together.

    Also,back in 1993 when we joined First Baptist Church coming from a small country church and playing the organ at that small church, I never dreamed I could ever play one of those "big huge pipe organs" - like the one at FBC. Well, the Lord provided an opening and I was offered the job, scared me to death, but I started organ lessons and now it is one of the true pleasures of my life. I have always loved music - everything from southern gospel, rock, classical, jazz, r&B and country. I so enjoy trying to make the organ make beautiful sounds that serve as praises to the Lord every Sunday. So like you, I am a lover of music in a large way.

    I have been a very blessed woman and sooooo thankful for all the Lord has provided for my family and me. I'm sorry for babbling on, I have other dreams that have come true that I will have to tell you about sometimes. Thanks for your blog, its so inspiring and I have certainly enjoyed it.

    Thx
    Debby Whitley

    ReplyDelete