Sunday, November 8, 2009

I have new contacts for old people

Do you know that when you reach your forties you become blind to anything that is within about two feet of your face. I have watched my friends pull out the readers to read something and I would think what in the world is wrong with these people. Well, now I know. Here is the story...

I have had glasses since my first year in college. I have had contacts since the year I married, approximately 20 years. As a near-sighted person, I could always see close-up but not distances. Well, that has all changed. Now I can't see close up or distances. What the.....

My eye doctor put me in stronger contacts to see distances. I now have to wear readers to determine if I am cutting up the potatoes on my plate or the napkin beside the plate. It's nice seeing distances, but seems like silly little habits such as reading a book, telling time on your watch, and identifying your food are still important.

I asked the doctor what causes this sudden inability to see close-up. His answer: "birthdays." That's right, stinking birthdays! You know that time of year that you once celebrated. Now, birthdays make you blind up close. I still celebrate birthdays. Well, last year when I could see up close I celebrated my birthday. This year I will need a large print calendar to know it's my birthday. There's more to this "can't see up close craziness."

Doc's theory is that the lens of the eye - which is shaped like a chocolate m&m - gets thicker (fatter of course) and loses its ability to focus properly. Additionally, the "strings" that hold the lens in place may become less effective. Thus, fat lenses and loose strings cause you to have "can't see up close craziness." I will call it CSUCC for short. Funny what that acronym spells. The SUC part is certainly accurate. (Disclaimer: If you are a doctor reading this and you feel that I totally got the explanation wrong, do not correct me. I like my interpretation of my doctor's theory. It blogs well.)

I now have readers in black, red, aqua, and lime green. I need some with more bling. If we have to look old, we should glue some rhinestones or something on the darn things!

So, is there any good from this? Of course, I have my vision. I have corrective lenses for distances and readers for up-close. Thank God that both are available.

Do any of you have this same thing happening? Birthdays: what else do they bring?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I hate not being able to see without glasses as well. I keep wanting to do lasics, but, well, since I draw and am pretty much useless unless I'm in a graphic design/illustrator position and there is the potential for my eyes to get messed up with it, I've decided against it!

    And you're not old. An old person couldn't throw an AWESOME Halloween party with "I like big butts" playing because they'd be like, "You young whipper snappers and your supid 'rap!' Its past 6:30 which means I need to be in bed!"

    ReplyDelete