Monday, November 9, 2009

Midnight Movies are addicting

I love Harry Potter books, movies, Halloween costumes -- everything Harry Potter. I have seen every movie at least 4 or 5 times with the exception of the new movie only in theatres. I have only seen it twice. Without a doubt I will see it many more times. I think I will buy my own DVD copy of that one. It's bound to be a classic.

The books were read in record time. I devoured each one within the weekend that they were released. J.K. Rowling is a genius writer. If you have ever seen an interview with her you know that she is a bit ecentric -- mostly downright strange. But how could a completely sane person decide that non-magical people are muggles, nargles can be kept away with a charm necklace, Hogwarts is a place to train young magical minds, and that the Hogwarts Express Train could be boarded at Platform Number 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station in London? And don't forget Diagnon Alley, the Leaky Cauldron, Gillyweed, Hogsmeade, Mudblood, Nagini, O.W.L.S., Parseltounge, Huffelpuff, Gryffendor, and Slytheryn. The language of the books is as great as the story line.

I was able to talk my husband into going to see one of the movies at the theatre. He only consented when another couple asked us to go. After the conclusion of the always exciting battle betweeen Valdemort and Harry, I asked my husband if he liked the movie. Now, my husband is a wise, pragmatic man and he said to me "Well, it's just like the last Harry Potter movie you made me watch. The bad dude is trying to kill Harry Potter and Harry Potter is trying not to be killed." Now, I love the intricate story line, the wonderful terminology, and the cinementography, but I think the whole series can be summed up as "the bad dude in trying to kill Harry Potter and Harry Potter is trying not to be killed." Dang that sweet man killed my Harry Potter high! But only temporarily!

When the latest movie came out in theatres, our local theatre had a midnight showing. Midnight showing!!!! I can watch Harry Pottery, stay up super late, and be surrounded by Harry Potter friends! Sign me up! The only catch, obviously I am a little old to be this excited about a midnight showing of Harry Potter. What to do? I called the 8-year old nephew. Surely he won't let his favorite aunt down and refuse my midnight showing offer.

His first question when I asked him to go with me to the midnight showing - "you're not tricking me into going to another one of those plays are you?" The kid does not like live plays. You have to be quiet and still for too long. After I assured him that no live play trickery was involved, he agreed to go with me.

We planned all day to be ready. We stock piled boxes of candy that were all dumped together in a ziploc bag (these don't make noise during the movie) and we planned out our nap time during the day so that we would be super ready for the movie.

We were the 2nd people in line at 11:00 p.m. It was great. I was going to a midnight showing of Harry Pottery, my favorite little man in the world is with me and we have snacks. Life is good. We even had a pillow if the little man got sleepy. The movie was too good for sleeping. Neither of us blinked an eye and he loved the movie as much as I did. I love that kid.

I think I am adicted to the midnight showing of new movies. Now I have a ticket to the midnight showing of New Moon. I will be in line by 11:00 if you want to join me.......

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Tina! I LOVE the HP books, love the movies and am a total night owl anyway so I would be a perfect companion for midnight movies. HOWEVER, I absolutely can't stand the Twilight books. I think Stephanie Meyer is a far, far inferior writer to J.K. Rowling (a true genius, as you say), and I am not a fan of the vampire genre. These day vampires are EVERYWHERE: TV, Books, Movies. I'll be glad when this craze dies down a little.

    Very well-written blog, fun and funny! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janalou3. I love your opinions. No doubt that J.W. Rowling is the superior writer. I don't mind the vampire thing, it's just funny that now they have every super power known to man and their only downfall is that they sparkle in the sun. Really, they sparkle in the sun? Whatever.
    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete