Sunday, November 8, 2009

I think I am becoming a vampire.

Not really, but I don't like the sun. About two weeks ago, I was on my front porch on a perfectly over-cast day. The sun came out and started shining onto the porch. As the sun invaded, I stepped closer and closer to the front door so that the sun couldn't touch any part of me. That's when I asked the question -- Geez, am I becoming a vampire?

I will admit that I love the Twilight Series of books. Not sure why I love them. Teenage romance is not a big interest of mine, but I love that Edward, Jacob, and Bella. If you have not read the books, I suggest that you pick up a copy from your child and read it. Some very inventive author has taken the series and turned it into a way to prepare students for the SAT. Now the Twilight series is not just teen romance, it's SAT preparation! Didn't see that one coming.

Obviously, my skin doesn't sparkle (see Twilight series if you don't understand the reference) when the sun touches me, but I have lived 40+ years staying out of the sun and I can't start sunning now. For all of those 40+ years I have envied my tanned friends while my pasty white skin looked sickly and sad beside theirs. However, I may have the last laugh. That sun is not good for the skin. "Wrinkles be gone from the fair-skinned 40-something lady!" I feel better just making that declaration.

Not only do I not like the sun, I don't like the south Georgia heat! I like south Georgia, just not the heat. Big girls with big hair are not meant to baste in the heat and humity that exists in our nice part of the state. I hybernate in my house on the weekend from July to mid-September. While my friends are at the beach enjoying life, I am hiding from the sun. I know it's crazy, but can I change now? No.

My mom told me: Honey, your dad's people wrinkle and my people sag. Have a good life. I figure I have a big enough fight with genetics, I can't tackle the sun also.

My request to my beach bunny friends: Please make a marquerita toast to your pasty white friend and apply another layer of sunscreen in my name. I will be at the dermatologist getting genetically-induced crows feet lasered off. Until later.....

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the sun/georgia heat. I like balance. If its hot and sunny I want it to be rainy and cloudy. I want the clouds/rain to start on May 1 and continue until the end of September. I'm sorry, but I draw the line at 95 degrees! However, in the winter I'm totally opposite. I want sun ALL the time. If its hot, I want clouds, if its cold, I want sun. Fair balance!

    There is nothing wrong with being a vampire! The night is a wonderful time to work. There are not a lot of people around and its peaceful and you can't see the passage of time so you get more work done:)

    ReplyDelete