Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thank you Veterans

One of my high school classmates was killed in Iraq early in the war. He and his patrol unit were making their normal patrols for the day. The first vehicle (not sure if they were in jeeps or tanks) missed the IED buried in the sand. Victor's vehicle didn't miss it. From what I understand, when an IED causes major impact damage the military has very little to send back to the family. Victor was the first person that I had known as a teenager who was killed at war. I still have trouble wrapping my mind around the whole incident.

I don't fully understand what motivates members of the military to have the courage required to walk into harms way day after day in the name of our country. If you talk to a veteran who has returned from a tour in Iraq or Afghanistan, they are eager to return. They want to be there with their unit. I am eternally grateful for their courage, I just don't have the capacity to understand it. However, at Victor's funeral I did receive some insight into how our brave soldiers do their jobs.

The funeral was conducted outdoors at a National Military Cemetery. The Congressman who spoke at the funeral was a veteran. He explained that all of us will die, but that our military can die for a purpose. At least this is some explanation of how and why our military men and women are so brave. We will all die -- no one gets out of this life alive -- our military die with the purpose of defending freedom. This I can understand.

After the Congressman spoke, there was a jet fly-over and taps were played. Taps always make me cry. However, I was not prepared for what came next. There is a military roll call at the funeral of fallen soldiers. The officer in charge began to call out the names of all of the active-duty military members of the audience. He called each one loud and clear and they answered from either their seat or from where they were standing. Finally, to my surprise, he called Victor's name. He called it a second time. He called it a third time. No answer. His words reverberated in the complete silence as many of us stood shocked to hear Victor's name called with the expectation that he should answer the call. Finally, the officer turned to Victor's mom and said "Victor does not answer. He has given all in the name of his country." I sobbed as did many of the audience. The American flag was folded and given to the family. Victor left a mom and dad, brothers, a wife, small children, and many friends to carry on without him.

Everyone has a story of a courageous veteran or a courageous family of a veteran. This is mine.

6 comments:

  1. What an inspiring story. And -- you really have a way with words "Miss Tina." :) I'm enjoying reading your posts, and I look forward to more.

    And I'm also thankful for the veterans, but I, too, do not have the capacity to fully understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should tell our veterans on a daily basis how much we appreciate their sacrifices and the sacrifice of their families. Thanks for reminding us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Tina! It brought tears to my eyes. I remember hearing about Victor being killed and how shocked I was that one of our own (Ellavillian) was lost. Charlie worked with him at the Sumter County Sheriff's Dept. I think that none of us are as patriotic and supportive as we should be. Thanks for reminding us about Victor and about all the other brave soldiers who have fought and are fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. Very poignant. Thank you for sharing.

    Yesterday I watched a memorial service for the soldiers murdered at Ft. Hood, TX. The most moving part of the ceremony was Roll Call. OMG! the silence of the fallen soldiers was a very somber and deafening powerful statement.

    ...but the biggest message I took from the memorial service is that we should mourn with the soldiers, not for the soldiers.

    Some people spend and entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. But, a veteran does not have that problem.

    Happy Veterans Day! Thanks to all who have served and sacraficed. We will NEVER forget!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina, Thanks for the post about Victor. I was there at his funeral and I too was moved at not only the number of persons there, but to know he was one of our own, really brought the war to our mind. We get so stale about what is going on around us. And to know he was the first soldier from this was to be buried at Andersonville. As sad as it was (and still is) can make us all feel proud, to have known him. And he did love his job. He worked so hard to get his health to the point he could go. And he cared for his unit. His mother said each time she wanted to send him something, he aways said" Don't send me anything if you can't send for all my men" What a great tribute to him. And thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry for the loss of anyone but our boys and girls in uniform willingly walk into harms way every day and deserve all of our respect and thanks.

    ReplyDelete