Thursday, November 19, 2009

My mentor

I have had the tremendous gift of a mentor who has provided me with insight and encouragement in my current career. She is one of those rare people who makes your world better because she is a part of that world. I describe her as a steel magnolia personified. When you see her in a professional setting there is absolutely no doubt that she is in charge and that her vision is being promoted throughout the organization. At the same time she is charming, charismatic, and loved by the people she surrounds herself with. I tease her that when she walks into a room of strangers, she charms the men, she befriends the women, and she raises $10,000 for her favorite charity. The wonderment of that statement is that it's true. She is really amazing and I am blessed to have her as a mentor.

Early in my current position, she would call and give me advice or "heads up" about pending situations. The unique thing about her is that she always made these phone calls seem like she was learning something from me. She never made me feel like a neophyte who was boring her with chatter that she had no time to be bothered with. She made me feel important, smart, and capable. She also challenged me through her tremendous example and pieces of advice. I am forever grateful to her willingness to take me on as a mentee when she had her own career to manage. I am not sure that I could have been successful without her guidance and kindness when I needed her the most.

After she moved higher in the organization, I talked to her less, but still relied on her for the most important kinds of advice. I always trusted her instinct and found that she never missed the target as we analyzed a situation looking for the best solution. She has two direct-reports who have become CEO's of their organizations and countless others who turn to her with their toughest problems. She never fails us.

Because of her tremendous abilities, she has been promoted to the top position in higher education in another state. I am elated and devastated at the same time. I know with Internet, Facebook, email, Blogs, Twitter, etc. we can keep in touch, but I will miss seeing her and knowing that I can talk to her whenever I need her.

She always encouraged her mentees to become mentors to others. My prayer is that I can be the kind of mentor to a new professional that she has been to me. The biggest honor I could have is to be compared to her in some small way. I do not have the words to express the gratitude and respect that I feel for her. Some of you may know who I am talking about but, others may not. I just hope she knows that she has positively changed the lives of everyone she touched in South Georgia. I am forever in her debt. My prayers and thoughts are with her as she charms and befriends new acquaintances. My love to my Mentor. Thank you for your generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment