Monday, March 8, 2010

Familiar Things


I like familiar things. I don't mind change, but some things are so comfortable and so much a part of some special time in our life that we have to cling to them. I still have the maple bedroom suit that my mom bought for me when I was four years old. The finish has darkened over the years and there are a couple of stress fractures in the wood, but I can't possibly part with it. I love the patina of the wood and have the entire suit set up in one of our guest bedrooms. You probably remember the kind of bedroom suit that I am writing about -- it has a nice little rounded headboard and foot board on the bed, a little dresser with a mirror with room for a chair, and a nice chest of drawers. Probably lots of this type of bedroom suit in homes from the 60's.


Speaking of familiar, new clothes are fabulous, but so are the gray, bleach-stained, stretched-out sweats that I jump into when I get home each day. I know they look awful on me - heck, they would look awful on anybody, but they are familiar and comfortable. I can usually make it 3 or 4 evenings before they have to be washed. Of course, If my big ole self makes it to the Y I have to wash them more regularly. They are comfortable, they are stretchy and I can eat all I want while wearing my gray sweats. They are familiar and I love them.


Obviously, humans are not the only animal that likes familiar things. For the fourth year in a row, a fabulous mama bird has laid her eggs in the same nest. I can not prove that it's the same mama. I even imagine that maybe one of the baby birds matures and comes back each year to use the "homestead" nest. No proof of that either, but it's my story and I can write it as I please.


The nest is at the top of one of the posts on my front porch. The original builder of the nest is a genius bird because there is no way that predators can get to the nest. I always check to see that no snake or rat has bothered the nest. For four years, the nest has survived predator-free. Usually I have the wonderful delight to see four or five babies mature just outside my big picture window. The birds grow up so fast and it's fun to watch them as they grow. Eventually they seem to do nothing but squawk for food. That poor mama bird is constantly bringing in food to five little open mouths. She works tirelessly to ensure that here little ones are fed.


I love when it's time for the birds to learn to fly and leave the nest. I have never found one of them on the ground -- indicating an unsuccessful flight attempt. They hesitantly hop around the edge of the nest for a week or so before they finally take off. I have lots of pictures of these sweet baby birds and I look forward to their return every year.


This year the birds made nests very early. Maybe it was not so early, but the continuous cold weather made the timing seem early. I was afraid that the babies would not survive the cold, but of course the mama took very good care of them. She even built the nest higher and closer in at the top to keep the babies warm. She is one smart mom.


When I had my house pressure washed this year, I told the guy doing the washing that he absolutely could not spray the cleaning formula or the high pressure water anywhere near the bird nest. He assured me that he would preserve the nest. When I returned home that day, the nest was still in tact, but no mama bird around. I was afraid that she had left the nest. I watched for her until almost dark when she dutifully arrived back to her nest to protect the babies through the night. I will continue to look forward to the arrival of a new family of birds each year as they seek out the familiar nest.

What familiar thing do you cherish? What makes your list of things that are comfortingly familiar?


3 comments:

  1. I'd have to say it's my Dog Tags. They were very important for me during a time in my life that greatly impacted who I am today. I have been out of the Army for nearly 8 years and I still wear them almost every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Familiar to me is comfort and safety. I like change to a certain extent, but there is a lot to be said for familiarity. I like the bird nest story you told because for one thing it shows your compassion and love for animals and I am a HUGE animal person. The second thing is what the bird nests mean to us all. To me the bird nest is my home and the person that makes my house a "home". The bird nest is the ability to help people everyday and make thier lives better. My birdnest is my mom who has helped make me the man that I am. My birdnest is my church and church family that I know that I can count on when times are tough or I am going through turmoil in my life. God is my birdnest, my father bird or honestly my familiar rock or anchor that holds. My birdnest is my great friends that I hold dear to my heart.
    I thank God for familiarity in times of confusion and dispair.
    Tina, I loved your blog....it sparked deep thoughts tonight while watching American Idol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, I loved the birds. In our old house we had birds do the same thing year after year! Now if I hang ferns on the front porch they make nests in them. My girls have taken lots of baby bird pictures! Love your blog! And Daniel, his last statement on his comment..... is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete